Job Title: Assistant Controller
Reports to: Controller
To direct and oversee all the financial activities of the bank including preparation of current financial reports as well as summaries and forecasts for future business growth and general economic outlook.
- Assists with the preparation of all financial reports, including income statements, balance sheets, reports to directors and shareholders.
- Helps oversee accounting department, payroll, budget preparation, and financial reporting.
- Reviews reports to analyze projections of income against actual figures, budgeted expenses against final totals, and suggests methods of improving the planning process as appropriate.
- Analyzes Bank operations to pinpoint opportunities and areas that need to be reorganized, down-sized or eliminated.
- Confers with Controller to coordinate and prioritize planning.
- Creating financial statements for board reports as well as upper management
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and yearly financial reports
- Assisting Branch Managers with budgeting
- Ensuring all accounting practices are in compliance with legal guidelines and established accounting principles
- Working with the company financial team to create internal controls and policies
- Collaborating with the IT department to maintain financial records and system processes
- Identifying solutions to discrepancies in financial records
- Prepares financial statements to summarize and forecast the company’s financial status.
- Produces and manages balance sheets and analyze future earnings and expenses.
- Assists with management of accounting, auditing and budgeting within the organization.
- Assists with preparations for audits.
- Works to reconcile accounting inaccuracies or imbalances.
- Ensures compliance with and prepare reports according to applicable government regulations.
- Uses accounting software to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Coordinates with and prepares reports for Controller, CFO, and upper management.
- Ensures all accounting practices are in compliance with legal guidelines and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assist in managing the bank’s accrual and prepaid accounts and reconciliations.
- Assist with special projects as necessary.
- Manages the company credit card and payments from expense reports, as well as accounts payable.
Education and experience
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, or finance.
Seven to ten years of experience in accounting and financial management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- A strong ability to perform financial analysis skills is required.
- Knowledge of database and accounting computer application systems to supply the most accurate financial information.
- Excellent understanding of governmental guidelines, tax laws that affect the company
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail
- Proficient with data analysis, critical thinking and problem-solving
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in basic office and accounting software programs
- Collaboration and teamwork skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and management about the finances of the business and justify certain financial recommendations
- Attention to detail
- Basic math skills to make accurate calculations and estimates
- Good understanding of international finance
- Organization and project management
- Strong understanding of tax codes and laws
- Proficiency with accounting software
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
Must be able to work under pressure and exhibit good judgment in making decisions pertaining to the overall health of the Bank and its employees. Position requires extended periods of sitting and computer use. In addition, travel between branches and to customers and events is required.
Such duties as listed in this description are not meant to be all-inclusive and the employer reserves the right to add, alter, or delete duties as seen fit with or without notice.
Sonora Bank provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Sonora Bank complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.