Job Title: Loan Officer
Reports to: Branch Manager
The loan officer is responsible for developing new business, structuring, and closing of consumer and commercial loans, as well as maintaining and servicing an existing portfolio. Proactively executes integrated sales, service, and relationship strategies to support growth and retention of commercial clients that have borrowing needs for complex commercial, consumer and/or mortgage loans.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain a working knowledge of Bank policies, procedures, and pertinent lending regulations.
- Responsible for originating, underwriting, closing and servicing loans.
- Maintaining and cultivating customer relationships for the bank.
- Analyzing and presenting loan requests to the appropriate committee.
- Monitor an existing consumer loan portfolio to ensure proper risk ratings and early identification of potential problems.
- Conduct a daily review, approval and disposition of consumer overdrafts
- Meets with customers as necessary during various stages of the lending process.
- Analyze potential loan markets and develop referral networks in order to locate prospects for loans.
- Negotiate terms, structure loan financing based on risk considerations and present credits for approval to appropriate levels of authority with the bank as required.
- Stay abreast of new types of loans and other financial services and products in order to better meet customer’s needs.
- Meet with applicants to obtain information for loan applications and to answer questions about the process.
- Support the bank’s strong relationship banking culture through on-going customer contact, quality customer service and superior product knowledge.
- Monitors loan repayment activities and takes necessary action to collect from past due accounts.
- Aggressively seeks and obtains quality new business through client and prospect calls, referrals and cross selling efforts.
- Responsible for sales, credit analysis, proper loan structuring, and client interviewing.
Education and Experience
A high school degree or equivalent is required.
Bachelor’s degree in finance, business or economics preferred.
A minimum of three years previous experience in loan operations (funding, servicing, processing); bank or credit union experience preferred
Formal credit training preferred.
Thorough knowledge of the financial services industry, indirect & direct lending products (auto loans) and services.
- A strong understanding of lending and collection methods and regulations are required.
- The ability to effectively communicate both orally and in written form with management, internal and external customers is required.
- A strong understanding of regulatory and legal requirements pertaining to the banking industry is required.
- Must be self-motivated and have an ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- High integrity and confidentiality required.
Lending School is preferred.
Must be able to work under pressure and exhibit good judgment in making decisions pertaining to the overall health of the bank and its employees. Position requires extended periods of sitting and computer use. In addition, travel between bank branches and to customers and events is required.
Such duties as listed in this description are not meant to be all-inclusive and the employer reserves the right to add, alter, or delete duties as seen fit, with or without notice.
Sonora Bank provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Sonora Bank complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.