Job Title: Credit Underwriter
Reports to: Credit Underwriting Manager
Under limited supervision, responsible for the quantitative and qualitative analysis of applicant requests for business loan requests including complex ownership structures and cash flow sources. Assess collateral values and credit risk and prepare detailed, written credit approval packages for presentation to loan committee. Spread and analyze personal and business financial statements and tax returns. Administration of appraisals and evaluations is also required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide assistance and support to loan officers by performing analysis on financial statements, tax returns, and cash flow for borrowers. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Researching client’s banking relationship and credit history
- Determining strengths and weaknesses of the credit
- Appropriately analyzing collateral values
- Identifying and mitigating policy exceptions
- Analyzing financial trends (income statements, cash flow, etc.)
- Request additional information as needed from the loan officer and occasionally, the customer directly
- Maintain a current knowledge of banking/financial terminology and regulations. Must be detail oriented and be able to read, understand, and closely follow bank’s loan policy and all pertinent standard operating procedures.
- Through careful analysis, to determine the likelihood of repayment and identify all material risks and mitigants
- Analyze credit data and financial statements and other financial information to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money.
- Present credit analysis in loan committee with Senior Management
- Evaluate customer needs and assess sources and uses of cash and appropriately structure debt within credit policy parameters while fully mitigating exceptions to policy.
- Spread financial statements in Bank software and analyze output, analyze trends, ratios, cash flow, and changes in the balance sheet and synthesize information to ask questions and present pertinent info in credit presentations.
- Understand differences in industries and geographic locations and the impact of micro and macroeconomic events as they may impact a particular customer or group of customers.
- Understand industry metrics and compare performance and risk status.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of Bank policies and pertinent lending regulations.
- Strong understanding of risk grading policy of the Bank and regulators and application to each borrowing relationship.
- Calculate financial ratios, cash flow, debt service, etc. and understand the materiality of each borrowing situation.
- Provide support for lending officers, Credit Manager and Senior Management as needed.
- Understand and apply Bank appraisal policy and administration in a consistent manner. Order property evaluations and reviews of evaluations and appraisals.
- Participate in training opportunities as presented.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required including assisting with special projects and requests from Senior Management.
- Perform other duties necessary to keep the loan function of the bank performing efficiently and effectively.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree is required. Bachelor’s in Finance or Accounting is preferred.
A minimum of two years of bank experience and commercial credit analysis is required.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret financial statements, tax returns, aging statements and covenants. Accounting background/education is a plus. Basic understanding of accounting and financial statements including relationship between statement of cash flows to the income statement and balance sheet is required.
- Commercial underwriting experience is required.
- Understanding of appropriate loan structuring concepts.
- Understanding company formation structures and ability to identify borrowing and guaranty structures.
- Working knowledge of loan documents, collateral instruments and banking/financial terminology.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Effectively work with the Bank’s Central Loan Processing group and working knowledge of the department’s responsibilities.
- Effective time management skills are necessary along with the ability to multi-task and consistently follow up in a timely and effective manner.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Word and Excel.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and appearance at all times that ensures appropriate and professional behavior and communications with customers and staff.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to develop and maintain working knowledge of bank policies, procedures, and systems.
- Fluency in the English language.
- A strong understanding of mathematical and quantitative concepts is required.
- Outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills are required.
- Must be able to maintain effective interpersonal relationships with both internal and external customers as effective gathering and exchanging complex information is required.
- Proficiency with various technologies, especially with spreadsheet software is required.
- Independent decision making and effective deductive reasoning.
- This position requires the ability to multi-task while meeting deadlines and maintaining attention to detail.
- Prior experience with financial spreading software is preferred.
Certifications: None required.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds, supplies, loan files, and other documents on lifted counters, tables, desks, and shelves up to a height of 6 feet.
- Ability to operate office machines and equipment, such as personal computers, printers, copy machines, fax machines, calculators, and telephones.
- Ability to communicate clearly with customers, co-workers, and others both in-person and on the telephone.
- Work activities involve combinations of sitting/standing for extended periods up to 5 hours at a time, kneeling, bending, pushing, lifting, and carrying.
- Ability to perform repetitive finger, hand and arm movement.
- Must be able to work under pressure and exhibit good judgment in making decisions pertaining to the overall health of the bank and its employees.
Sonora Bank provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Sonora Bank complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.